Poultry & Livestock

Responsible ownership

The Waratah-Wynyard Council currently has no By-Laws prohibiting farm animal ownership. All responsible owners should ensure that their animals do not cause a nuisance to their neighbours.

If you believe your neighbour has a nuisance animal that is causing you distress please contact Council.

Straying Livestock

Animals causing a hazard or threat to public safety

Please contact the local police station to report straying animals.

What if stock has strayed onto my property?

The Law of Animals Act 1962 contains provisions about what to do if you find stray livestock on your property. Under the Animal Welfare Act 1993 there are legislation requirements about the appropriate treatment of the intruding animal in your charge. You are required to take all reasonable measures to ensure that the welfare of the animal is maintained.

Animal Welfare

If you have concerns about the welfare of an animal, please contact the RSPCA