Waratah-Wynyard Council is an equal opportunity employer and applies merit-based selection techniques. We embrace diversity and encourage applications from all people.
Applying to work at Waratah-Wynyard Council is a simple process:
- Review the position description to make sure you meet the selection criteria.
- Once you have considered the position, complete the online application form.
Begin each selection criterion with a topic sentence that clearly states your claim to the criterion.
Then provide details of a specific example by describing the:
- SITUATION – Describe the situation where you used the skills/ qualities you need to demonstrate.
- TASK – What did you need to accomplish? What was the problem or issue and what was required of you?
- ACTION – What action did you take, outline the steps or process you used.
- RESULT – Outline the outcome. What was accomplished? How does this relate to the job you are applying for?
A short, simple response with 1 to 3 paragraphs for each criterion is all that is required.
Applications that do not address the Selection Criteria when required may be eliminated from the recruitment process.
Your resume is a history of your employment and work experience and should include the following:
- Contact details
- Employment history – (most recent experience listed first) detailing period of employment, positions held and responsibilities
- Educational qualifications
- Training courses, work tickets, licences and professional affiliations which are relevant to the position
Before submitting your application, make sure you have:
- completed all fields marked with an astrict (*)
- checked your contact details are all up to date
- addressed all of the selection criteria
- uploaded your current resume
- uploaded your covering letter (optional)
If you have technical difficulties in submitting your application, contact our HR Officer on 03 6443 8333.
Ensure that you submit your application before the closing date, as late applications will not be accepted unless prior arrangements have been made.
Waratah-Wynyard Council is an equal opportunity employer and applies merit-based selection techniques.
Step 1 — Shortlisting
Shortlisting of applicants to attend an interview is based on how your experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, qualifications and training meet each of the selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description.
Step 2 — Interview
If you are a successful candidate, you will be invited to attend an interview. You will be contacted by phone to confirm relevant details. The interview will consist of a panel of a minimum of two employees, who will ask a series of questions based on the selection criteria which assists us to determine if you are the right fit for the role. You will be asked to provide examples of how you meet the criteria, citing specific experiences and situations.
Step 3 — Pre-employment checks
All positions with Council are subject to standard pre-employment checks such as reference checks and National Criminal History Checks. Depending on the requirements of the position pre-employment checks could also include licence checks, working with children checks, pre-employment health assessments (including drug & alcohol tests), psychometric testing, functional capacity testing and competency-based testing, qualification checks and Australian work eligibility checks.
Step 4 — Offer of employment
We will notify the successful applicant first as soon as possible after the selection decision is confirmed. All other interviewed applicants will be notified of the selection decision.
What is the estimated timeline for recruitment?
Depending on the position, the estimated timeline for Council’s recruitment process is five (5) to seven (7) weeks, comprising of:
- Advertising – 2 weeks
- Shortlisting – 1 to 2 weeks
- Interviews – 1 to 2 weeks
- Offer of Employment – 1 week
When will I know if my application has been successful or not?
Once a decision has been made, the successful applicant will be offered the position verbally, followed by a written offer.
Interviewed applicants will be notified by email after the successful applicant has been appointed.
All unsuccessful applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application by email.
Who can I contact for help?
Please contact our Human Resources Officer on 03 6443 8333 for further information or assistance.