Food Businesses

Food Safety is an important regulatory function of Council. The Waratah-Wynyard Council is committed to ensuring that food businesses operating within the region prepare and sell food to the public that satisfies the requirements of the Food Act 2003 and other relevant legislation and standards.

New food businesses operating in Waratah-Wynyard require assessment and approval before operating to ensure food safety standards are met.

Before a food business begins operating they must do one of two things:

  • Notify Council of their food handling activity; or
  • Register their food business with Council.

Food Businesses that handle low risk food are required to notify Council of their activity.  If you are not sure if the food you handle or the processes you use require notification or registration, please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer to discuss your requirements.

Download the Application for Notification, Registration or Renewal of a Food Business Form here

There are different types of food business registrations available.

Standard Food Registration

The first is a standard food business registration which applies to cafes, restaurants, takeaway shops, schools, sporting clubs, B&Bs, catering activities, home occupation and other similar businesses. Once a new food business applies, Council will assess the application in order to establish its risk classification.

Fees are determined using the Department of Health Risk Classification system, classing businesses in to Low, Medium and High risk. Registration of this type of food business runs in line with the financial year, starting on 1 July and expiring on 30 June each year. Renewals are sent out by the Council each year prior to expiration.

Fees and Charges can be viewed here

To apply for this type of registration, complete the Application for Notification,  Registration or Renewal of a Food Business Form and lodge with Council. Council’s Environmental Health Officer will then contact you to arrange a time to conduct a pre-registration inspection.

Statewide Mobile Food Business

The second registration type is a Statewide Mobile Food Business Registration. A mobile food business is defined under the act as a food business that operates from a temporary structure or food van.  This type of registration allows you to operate your food van or stall across Tasmania on a single registration.

Fees and charges for a State-wide Mobile Food Business can be found here

Please complete the Application for Notification, Registration or Renewal of a Food Business Form and lodge with Council.

One-off Temporary Food Permit

The third registration is for a Temporary Food Permit. This type of permit is limited to a certain location and date. Most commonly, this type of registration is used for one off fundraising and events such as sausage sizzles, cake stalls, market stall etc where food is available to the public, whether that be for free or for a fee.

Fees and charges for this type of registration can be found here.

Please complete the Application for Notification, Registration or Renewal of a Food Business Form and lodge with Council.

If you are planning to construct a new food business there may be certain planning, building and plumbing requirements that you need to meet before you can begin construction.

In Tasmania, food premises must be built in line with the National Construction Code (Tasmanian Appendix H102) requirement, which mirror the National Food Safety Standards.

Please view this fact sheet by the Department of Health to gain a greater understanding of what is required when starting a food business.

If you wish to construct a new food premises or make major alternations to an existing food business, please contact Council to discuss your requirements.

Council takes all food related complaints seriously and are duty bound to undertake thorough investigations. Although rare, outbreaks of food borne illnesses can be managed or prevented through quick intervention and relevant controls can then be implemented.

Council’s complaint procedure involves written detail addressed for the attention of Council’s Environmental Health Officer. Please be advised that all complaints are bound by Council’s confidentiality charter.

Food handlers are required to have appropriate skills and knowledge to perform their food handling duties. Council encourages all food handlers to undertake some form of food education and hygiene training.