In Tasmania, Local Government is made up of 29 Councils – each responsible for a municipal area. The principal legislation establishing the powers and functions of Councils is the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act). Section 20 describes the role of councils:
- to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the community;
- to represent the interests of the community; and
- to provide for the peace, order and good government of the municipal area.
A Councillor is an elected member of Council who:
- represents the interest of electors and ratepayers;
- provides leadership and guidance to the community and the district;
- facilitates communication between the community and the Council;
- participates in Local Government’s decision-making processes at Council and Committee Meetings; and
- performs such other functions as are given to a Councillor by the Local Government Act or any other written law or Policy.
Councillors conduct their roles in accordance with the Model Code of Conduct. This is a statement of the standard of behaviour that Councillors must demonstrate when they are carrying out their roles and functions.
The following documents form part of the new Code of Conduct:
Local Government (model Code of Conduct)
Code of conduct complaint form
When are elections held?
Waratah-Wynyard Local Government elections are held every four years. All Elected Members are required to nominate for re-election should they wish to sit for another four-year term. The next election is due in October 2022.
Who can vote?
If you are enrolled on the State Electoral Roll for an address in our municipal area you are automatically entitled to vote in our Local Government elections.
If you own or occupy land in the municipal area or are the nominated representative of a corporate body that owns or occupies land in the municipal area you may be eligible for inclusion on the Waratah-Wynyard Council General Managers Roll.
For further information on Local Government Elections visit the Tasmanian Electoral Commission website.
How to nominate for election to Council
The Nomination Form and online Candidate Statement may only be lodged once nominations are open.
Resources for candidates
The Local Government Association of Tasmania has produced a range of resources including presentations and a handbook for candidates which are available here.