Working at Council

Waratah-Wynyard Council staff have the unique opportunity to participate in the changes that our region is experiencing. The services, facilities and activities that we offer are frequently evolving and expanding.  As an employee of the Waratah-Wynyard Council, you can help us to reach our full potential. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and welcome employees with enthusiasm and a genuine desire to make a difference in their community.

The Waratah-Wynyard Council embraces an inclusive and diverse workforce, with great benefits and flexible work options. To ensure we attract and retain the best possible people to meet our future needs, we provide:

Positive Culture

Council provides a positive and supportive working environment for all employees.

Equal Employment Opportunity

Waratah-Wynyard Council aims to provide a workplace free from any form of discrimination, bullying and harassment. We are committed to creating an environment in which all forms of harassment and bullying are not tolerated at any level.

Learning and Development

Council is committed to ongoing staff development and training. Employees are encouraged and supported to attend training and undertake study in approved courses.

Work/Life Balance and Flexibility

Council appreciates the importance of a healthy work/life balance. Achieving balance in your life is vital to being a productive and happy employee.

Some of the flexible options available at Council include:

  • Rostered Days Off
  • 9-day fortnights
  • Flexible working hours, where applicable
  • Part-time and job share arrangements
  • Working from home
  • Banked Hours

Salary and Conditions of Employment

Salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Council’s current Enterprise Agreement and relevant award for each position.

Salary Sacrifice

Employees have the ability to access the following salary sacrifice items:

  • Superannuation
  • Children’s Services (Waratah-Wynyard Council operated facility)
  • Portable Electronic Device i.e.  (as per ATO requirements)

Superannuation

Waratah-Wynyard Council has a generous superannuation scheme – 13% for permanent employees personally contributing 6%, total 19% (conditions apply).

Reward and Recognition

Council employees are recognised after five years of service and continued recognition at five yearly intervals.

Christmas Closure

The Council generously provides 3 days paid leave during the Christmas / New Year closure each year.

Purchased Leave

Employees have the ability to purchase additional leave (conditions apply).

Uniforms

Dependant on your role Council employees have access to protective clothing, corporate uniforms, uniform allowance (conditions apply).

Health and Wellbeing

Providing a safe work environment is of utmost importance and taken very seriously. Council supports a comprehensive range of health and wellbeing initiatives with is supported by our OHSWELL Committee. Current support programs include:

  • Wellness Program
  • Employee Assistance Program offering professional counselling
  • Zero Harm Safety Management System
  • Health initiatives including flu vaccinations

Council is committed to a safe and healthy work environment. Comprehensive workplace health and safety policies and procedures are in place to ensure staff are not placed at risk while at work.

Smoke Free Environment

Council is committed to providing a smoke free work environment.