FAQ Waste Management

Important information concerning the interpretations of legislation and other policies is contained in this page. It is recommended that the Disclaimer be read in conjunction with the information provided.

Welcome to the Waste Management section of the Waratah-Wynyard Council website. We have endeavoured to include all information relating to the queries you might have on waste management here. If you have queries in relation to our kerbside collection services for general garbage and recyclables please click here . We hope this section will be helpful. If there's anything else with which we can be of assistance please e-mail us on council@warwyn.tas.gov.au .


1. What is waste management?

2. What legislation governs waste management?

3. Where are my local waste disposal sites and when are they open?

4. What are the charges at the waste disposal sites?

5. What items can I recycle and where do I take them?

6. What is regarded as acceptable and non-acceptable waste?

7. What can I do with non-acceptable waste?

8. What can I do with empty chemical containers?

9. How should I store chemicals?

10. How can I reduce the amount of waste I produce?

11. What can I do with liquid (trade) waste?

1. What is waste management?

Waste management is an area of core business for councils. It encompasses all activities and services that revolve around collecting, disposing and reducing waste. In dealing with waste management, council uses the most effective technologies and methods available while also striving to protect environmental and public health.

All Tasmanian councils run some form of garbage collection and recycling services and operate waste transfer stations and/or landfill sites.

Council runs Waste Transfer Stations at Goldie Street, Wynyard and Corinna Main Road, Waratah. Back to FAQ List

 2. What legislation governs waste management?

Waste management activities by councils are generally controlled by three main pieces of legislation:

The Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 (EMPCA) deals with pollution issues and under Section 20(a) requires councils to prevent or control pollution. Under Section 44 it allows councils to issue Environmental Protection Notices and to ensure new businesses or activities do not cause environmental harm.

Environmental harm is defined as 'any adverse effect on the environment.' EMPCA defines three levels of environmental harm:

  • environmental nuisance which carries a penalty up to $30,000
  • material environmental harm which carries a penalty up to $250,000 and 2 years prison
  • serious environmental harm which carries a penalty up to $1,000,000 and 4 years prison

EMPCA also governs most of the State Government's activities in relation to waste management. The Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment (DPIWE) looks after waste and recycling and their web site has some very good information.

The Local Government Act 1993 is the main piece of legislation that controls how councils operate and what functions and roles they must perform.

  • Section 20 details the functions and powers of councils
  • Section 93(1)(d) allows councils to set a service rate for garbage removal, Sections 145 to 174 allow councils to make by-laws and set out the procedures for doing so
  • Sections 199 to 204 allow councils to take action against a person that may be causing a 'nuisance'. This is defined as anything that is likely to cause danger or harm to the health, safety or welfare of anyone, or unreasonable or excessive levels of noise or pollution

The Litter Act 2007 authorises council officers to take action against persons found to e littering and describes actions that can be taken and penalties that may apply.

Detailed but easy to read information about environmental laws can be found in 'The Environmental Law Handbook - Your Practical Guide to Tasmania's Environmental Protection and Planning Laws' 2nd edition, produced by the Environmental Defenders Office (Tas) Inc. (EDO). It is available from most major bookstores or contact the EDO directly on Ph: 6223 2770, email: edotas@trump.net.au . Back to FAQ List

 3. Where are my local waste disposal sites and when are they open?

Council operates two waste transfer stations These are located at Goldie Street, Wynyard and Corinna Main Road, Waratah.

Wynyard is open between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm daily and Waratah is open between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm daily - except for New Year's Day, Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Back to FAQ List

 4. What are the charges at the waste disposal sites?

Please click here to view the current Wynyard Waste Transfer Station fees.

Waratah Waste Transfer Station is not subject to a usage fee. Back to FAQ List

5.  What items can I recycle and where do I take them?

Council recycles a range of materials at its Goldie Street Waste Transfer Station.

Items that can be recycled at this centre are:

  • Cardboard - Separate from newspaper, flatten boxes, tie in bundles and place beside crate. Do not place in plastic bags
  • Newspapers and Magazines - Separate from cardboard, tie in bundles and place beside crate. Do not place in plastic bags
  • Milk and Juice cartons - Wash and flatten, stack inside each other to make a brick
  • Glass bottles and jars - Wash and remove all caps and lids
  • Aluminium and Steel cans - Includes food and drink cans, pie trays, clean foil and aerosol cans. Rinse food cans
  • PET, HDPE and PVC plastic - Generally juice, milk and cream plastic bottles, identified by the recycling code number 1,2 or 3 inside the logo which is usually on the base of the bottle. Rinse, squash and remove all lids

If you have any queries re the recycling service please contact Council's Engineering Services Department on (03) 6443 8351.

In addition to the kerbside collection service a number of recycling businesses operate in the area. Information about these businesses, including contact details, can be found in the Tasmanian Waste Recovery and Recycling directory on the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment website.

This directory lists all the recycling businesses in the State by the type of material they collect. Information about drop off points for recyclable materials in each council area is also included. Back to FAQ List

6.  What is regarded as acceptable and non-acceptable waste?

Generally, acceptable waste includes:

  • normal domestic and commercial waste
  • recyclable materials (separated and left at collection points at the waste transfer station or landfill site for recycling)
  • green waste
  • tyres (a levy is paid on each disposed tyre)
  • refrigerators and other white goods
  • gas bottles
  • paint tins
  • building materials
  • batteries
  • chemical containers (under DrumMuster programme)

If you have a query regarding what can be accepted at the Goldie Street Waste Transfer Station contact the station on (03) 6443 6443 8393.

Generally, non-acceptable waste includes:

  • Controlled Waste - defined as any waste with a hazardous characteristic that has special controls on the method of disposal and may endanger public health or the environment. Typically, such waste may be derived from plant and animal processing or industrial and chemical waste, especially if such waste has the potential to be toxic, corrosive or explosive
  • asbestos
  • household or farm chemicals
  • liquid waste including septic sludge
  • dead animals Back to FAQ List
7.  What can I do with non-acceptable waste?

There are two main landfill sites licensed to take Controlled or non-acceptable waste. These are Port Latta in the North West, and Dulverton in the North.

It is always wise to contact the waste management officers at the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment to ask their advise before you dispose of any Controlled Waste or if you are unsure if your waste is considered 'Controlled Waste 'or not.

A number of waste removal businesses licensed to remove such waste operate around the State. Contact details for these businesses are listed in the Yellow Pages under Waste Reduction and Disposal Services. Back to FAQ List

8.  What can I do with empty chemical containers?

drumMUSTER is the national program for the collection and recycling of empty, cleaned, non-returnable, crop production and on-farm animal health chemical containers. Council acts as a collection agency for these containers.

The containers must be:

  • pressure rinsed
  • triple rinsed, or
  • fully cleaned with a mechanical rinsing device

This should be done immediately after emptying the container, before any residue has a chance to dry and harden.

Contact the Waste Transfer Station on (03) 6443 8393 for details.

Further information is available on the safe disposal of chemicals on the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment website. Back FAQ List

9.  How should I store chemicals?
  • Only buy enough for immediate use to reduce the need to store quantities of chemicals When they must be stored, always label with the date of storage and note the use by date
  • Keep chemicals in a secure storage area out of reach of children and animals
  • Store away from heat and moisture and place on trays or mats that can collect any spills or leaks
  • Make sure the container is maintained in good condition
  • Do not mix chemicals together
  • When using chemicals read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid direct contact with skin - wear gloves and protective clothing Back to FAQ List
10.  How can I reduce the amount of waste I produce?

Waste can be reduced by:

  • buying items with less packaging
  • using available rec   ycling services
  • composting garden and food waste at home

It is estimated that garden and food waste accounts for over 50% of household waste. Mulching and composting can make a significant difference in reducing such waste.

Using mulch and compost in the garden have the added benefits of boosting soil fertility and conserving soil moisture.

Green Waste

Green waste means grass clippings, leaves and also tree prunings. Green waste is collected at waste transfer stations and landfill sites and is converted to mulch. When leaving green waste at such centres, it is important to ensure it does not have other general garbage mixed with it.

Home Composting

Home composting is a good way to significantly reduce your household waste. When composted, food waste and garden clippings decompose to make a great mulch for your garden.

You can either make your own compost heap in a shady part of your garden or use a compost bin. Compost bins can be purchased at most hardware stores and some councils provide them to their ratepayers at a discount.

Items that can be added to compost include:

  • vegetable & fruit peelings
  • tea bags & coffee grinds
  • vacuum dust
  • small prunings, leaves & grass clippings
  • straw & sawdust
  • flowers
  • wood ash
  • shredded paper & cardboard
  • used potting mix

The compost should be added in layers, with a layer of food scraps ideally being covered with a layer of grass clippings or leaves.

The following items are not suitable for composting:

  • meat and bones
  • dairy products
  • large prunings
  • pet droppings
  • weeds with seeds
  • bleached paper or magazines

The compost needs moisture and air to decompose effectively. To achieve this, turn it regularly and make sure it is always kept reasonably moist, without being waterlogged.

Worm Farms

Worm farms are another way to reduce food and garden waste. Worm castings that result from the worm's decomposition of waste, also make an excellent soil conditioner for your garden.

As with compost heaps, a worm farm should be placed in a cool and shady part of the garden. The worms need:

  • a dark, moist, but not waterlogged environment at all times
  • any compostable food items, shredded into smaller pieces to allow the worms to efficiently decompose them
  • neutral acidity with a pH level kept around 7

This pH level can usually be achieved quite easily by ensuring a layer of green waste or moist paper or cardboard is regularly added with the food waste. Ensure that paper waste is not bleached or contaminated with any chemicals. Newspapers and cardboard from food packaging are ideal.

Most hardware stores and garden centres sell worm farms and worms and will give you advice about how to look after them. Back to FAQ List

11.  What can I do with liquid (trade) waste?

If you are not in a reticulated sewerage area, most household waste is disposed of via the sewerage or waste water systems, or via septic tanks. However, grease, oils, solvents and chemicals (basically anything except human sewage) should not be put directly into such systems.

If you operate a business that produces quantities of such materials and they are discharged directly into the sewer, they can:

  • block the sewer
  • cause corrosion of pipes
  • damage the sewerage treatment processes
  • cause health risks to the sewer workers
  • cause damage to the environment

Such waste is often called trade waste and depending on the type of waste in question, councils require such waste to be managed through grease traps, holding tanks or oil and silt traps. Often councils require an industry operator to enter into a Trade Waste Agreement or obtain a Permit that details what the business is allowed to discharge to the sewer and under what terms and conditions. Also, trade waste charges that councils often impose on businesses depend on the volume and type of waste being discharged.

Please contact Council's Engineering Services Department on (03) 6443 8351 for any further information regarding Council's requirements in relation to discharging trade waste to the sewer.

Council obligations in dealing with liquid waste are generally specified under the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 (EMPCA).

EMPCA requires disposal of liquid waste in a way that does not cause environmental harm.

If a council operates a treatment plant with a volume:

  • exceeding 100 kilolitres per day, it is considered a Level 2 activity under EMPCA and is regulated by DPIWE
  • under 100 kilolitres, it is considered a Level 1 activity and does not require a permit from DPIWE, but must still comply with the EMPCA

Normal domestic waste is disposed of via a council's sewerage system or via septic tanks in unsewered areas. In recent years biocycle systems or little mini sewerage treatment plants have been approved for areas unsuitable for the conventional septic tank.

Council responsibilities for liquid waste disposal are detailed in the Sewers and Drains Act 1954 and the Plumbing Regulations 1994.

The Sewers and Drains Act describes the type of matter that can be discharged into a sewer system while the Plumbing Regulations1994 control more detailed activities councils can undertake to manage and maintain the sewerage system, including the use of trade waste permits.

Schedule 1 of the Plumbing Regulations1994 lists substances that cannot be discharged into the sewer due to risk of harm to the sewerage treatment plant or to the waters receiving the waste. These substances include:

  • flammable materials
  • radioactive material
  • medical, veterinary or pathology waste that could cause a health risk
  • rainwater, groundwater or uncontaminated yard drainage unless the sewer system is designed for it
  • the contents of any sewage or septic tank pump out unit unless located at designated receiving stations.

Schedule 2 of the Plumbing Regulations1994 sets the standards for liquid trade wastes that can be discharged to sewers.

Breach of these regulations incurs:

  • a fine of 10 penalty points (one penalty point equals $100)
  • a daily fine of 1 penalty point while the breach continues Back to FAQ List
Waratah Wynyard Council
21 Saunders Street : PO Box 168, Wynyard TAS 7325
Phone (03) 6443 8333 : Fax (03) 6443 8383 : Email: council@warwyn.tas.gov.au
Page URL: https://www.warwyn.tas.gov.au/page.aspx?u=295