FAQ Waste Collection

Important information concerning the interpretations of legislation and other policies is contained in this page. It is recommended that the Disclaimer be read in conjunction with the information provided.

Welcome to the Waste Collection section of the Waratah-Wynyard Council website. We have endeavoured to include all information relating to the queries you might have on waste collection here. If you have queries about our other waste management activities such as: fees at our waste disposal areas, what can be disposed of, disposal of trade waste, or our waste minimisation activities please click here.


1. What laws control garbage collection?
2. When does my garbage get collected?
3. Can I use my own bin or do I need a wheelie bin?
4. What items can I put in the kerbside recycling bin?
5. If I need to get a replacement bin or recycling crate, what must I do?
6. If I don't put out a bin or recycling crate, why do I still get charged a fee on my rates notice?
7. What can I do with items that are too big, or are not collected by the normal kerbside collection?
8. What can I do with my Green Waste?

1.  What laws control garbage collection?

Many councils have specific by-laws in relation to garbage collection and disposal which detail:

  • the types of bins to be used
  • what can be put into the bins
  • what can be disposed of at the landfill site
  • penalties for non-compliance vary from $200 to $500

Section 20 of the Local Government Act 1993 details the functions and powers of councils including the power to provide services to meet the needs of their communities.

Specifically, sections 145 to 174 of the Act allows a council to make by-laws, while section 93(1)(d) allows a council to set a service rate for garbage removal.

Back to FAQ List

2.  When does my garbage get collected?

Kerbside collection of domestic refuse in Waratah-Wynyard municipal area occurs between 7.00 am and 4.00 pm as follows. Please note that recycling collection happens at different times (please see below). It is recommended that you place your garbage bin out the night before collection:-

Collection Day

East Wynyard

Thursday and Friday

West Wynyard




Sisters Beach / Boat Harbour and
Somerset (part)


Waratah (Contact 6439 7100)

Every second Friday

Back to FAQ List

 3. Can I use my own bin or do I need to get a wheelie bin?

Council requires property owners to supply an approved refuse container; a receptacle for the temporary deposit of domestic refuse of a design and construction approved by an authorised officer. A 240 litre mobile garbage bin ("wheelie bin") is an approved refuse container.

When placing a wheelie bin out for collection, please make sure that:

  • the wheels are facing away from the kerb
  • the wheelie bin is placed as close to the kerb as possible
  • it is on level ground and one metre away from any other wheelie bin
  • the wheelie bin is away from trees, power poles and any obstructions that would prevent the mechanical arm being able to grab the bin
  • the lid is fully shut on the bin
  • there are no items placed on top of the lid

In some small cul-de-sacs it may be necessary to place the bins together at the entrance to the cul-de-sac where the road is usually a bit straighter, as the mechanical arm may not be able to reach bins placed on the curved parts of the kerb.

Items that should not be placed in a wheelie bin include:

  • hot ashes
  • unwrapped vacuum dust
  • liquids
  • syringes
  • oils
  • paints and solvents
  • timber and building materials Back to FAQ List
4.  What items can I put in the kerbside recycling bin?

Waratah-Wynyard Council sponsors a fortnightly kerbside collection service for recyclable items.

The collection times are not the same as for domestic garbage collection.

As with your normal garbage it is generally best to put the bin out the night before, as the collection run may commence early in the morning, however all containers should be at the kerbside not later than 6:00 am on the morning of collection. Collection times can be anywhere between 6:00am and 6:00pm.

Items that will be collected as part of the kerbside collection service are:

  • Cardboard - Separate from newspaper, flatten boxes, tie in bundles and place beside crate. Do not place in plastic bags
  • Newspapers and Magazines - Separate from cardboard, tie in bundles and place beside crate - Do not place in plastic bags
  • Milk and Juice cartons - Wash and flatten, stack inside each other to make a brick
  • Glass bottles and jars - Wash and remove all caps and lids
  • Aluminium and Steel cans - Includes food and drink cans, pie trays, clean foil and aerosol cans - Rinse food cans
  • PET, HDPE and PVC plastic - Generally juice, milk and cream plastic bottles, identified by the recycling code number 1,2 or 3 inside the logo which is usually on the base of the bottle - Rinse, squash and remove all lids

Items that cannot be collected as part of the kerbside recyclables collection service include:

  • Plastic bags
  • Window glass
  • Light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • House cleaning product bottles
  • Ice-cream, yoghurt, butter and margarine containers
  • Crockery
  • Meat trays
  • Plastic containers with the recycling code number 4,5,6 or 7

If you have any queries about the recycling service in your area please contact Council's Engineering Services Department on (03) 6443 8351.

In addition to the kerbside collection service a number of recycling businesses operate in the area. Information about these businesses, including contact details, can be found in the Tasmanian Waste Recovery and Recycling directory on the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment (DPIWE) website.

This directory lists all the recycling businesses in the State by the type of material they collect. It also includes information about drop-off points for recyclable materials in each council area. Back to FAQ List

5.  If I need to get a replacement bin, what must I do?

Council will provide one recycle bin per rateable property free of charge. The provision of further or replacement recycle bins will attract a fee. To request one or more recycle bins please complete the Recycling Wheelie Bin Request Form(93 kb)

As wheelie bins belong to property owners they are not subject to replacement by Council if stolen or damaged.

The recycling bins should only be used for the collection of recyclables and are not issued for use as general household storage containers.

If you move house, the recycling bin should not be taken with you. Wheelie bins may be taken by their owners. Back to FAQ List

6.  If I don't put out a bin or recycling bin, why do I still get charged a fee on my rates notice?

If you live in an area provided with a collection service, you are entitled to use that service. Council must pay the contractor to service the whole area, thus council passes the cost of collection onto all residential properties and spreads it around all those entitled to access the service. Back to FAQ List

7.  What can I do with items that are too big or are not collected by the normal kerbside collection?

Items that cannot be properly included in the household collection service can be transported and disposed of by property owners at Council's Waste Transfer Station in Goldie Street, Wynyard. Back to FAQ List

8.  What can I do with my Green Waste?

Green waste can not be disposed of through the normal wheelie bin collection service. Green waste can be transported and disposed of by property owners at Council's Waste Transfer Station in Goldie Street, Wynyard. Green waste is charged at 50% of the normal fee.

To reduce household green waste, add grass, leaves, small twigs and prunings to food waste and create a compost heap and/or a worm farm. Compost bins and worm farms can be bought at most hardware stores and garden centres.

Garden and food waste is estimated to account for over 50% of household waste, thus mulching and composting can make a significant difference in terms of reducing such waste. Back to FAQ List

Waratah Wynyard Council
21 Saunders Street : PO Box 168, Wynyard TAS 7325
Phone (03) 6443 8333 : Fax (03) 6443 8383 : Email: council@warwyn.tas.gov.au
contact us
Decrease font sizeReset font sizeIncrease font size